Polyolefin coatings provide flexible packaging industry with high stifness, clarity and tensile strength
Borealis is a leading supplier to the European extrusion coating industry. We offer a wide range of base low density polyethylene (LDPE), high density polyethylene (HDPE) and polypropylenes for extrusion coating applications. Special compounds are also available, like filled grades and grades containing TiO2 and talcum.
The extrusion coating process was introduced to combine plastics substrates with other materials such as paper, cardboard or aluminium foil. The process is beneficial for packaging applications because it:
- improves protection against light,
- safeguards against grease and humidity,
- nurtures stability, stiffness, and sealability of the packaging.
High pressure technology delivering high quality polymers
Borealis LDPE is manufactured using high pressure autoclave technology to deliver the highest quality consistency. About 90% of all polymers used in extrusion coating today is autoclave LDPE because it is easy to process, provides sufficient moisture barrier, and has excellent heat sealing properties.
To guarantee long term sustainable supply security towards the industry, Borealis has developed a new tubular LDPE homopolymer CT7200. This products brings the same high quality features of a classic autoclave LDPE, but on top has some additional benefits.
- improved sealing performance
- enhanced adhesion to various substrates
- reduced energy consumption
- good optical properties and low gel levels
For applications which require specific properties, such as better barrier protection or resistance against heat or grease, Borealis offers a range of HDPE products.
Physical properties answering the most demanding requirements
Borealis polypropylene grades offer an array of physical properties including:
- high stiffness
- barrier to moisture vapor transmission and grease permeability
- clarity and surface gloss
- heat resistance
- tensile strength
We provide different solutions to achieve the optimum combination of these benefits in extrusion coated structures and all our coating products are developed to meet the unique requirements for food contact applications in different countries.
Extrusion coating has many applications including:
- Liquid packaging for milk, juice, wine or other liquids
- Flexible packaging for meat, cheese, pet food or medical products
Rigid packaging for frozen food and detergent cartons, cup and plate boards for oven or microwave use
- Industrial applications
- Photographic paper
- Sterilisable food packaging
|Applications||Main function of coating layers|