Queo™ plastomers are a range of low density ethylene copolymers made possible by combining metallocene catalyst technology with the Compact solution polymerisation process. The comonomer used by Borealis Plastomers is octene. As the name implies, Queo plastomers bridge the gap between plastics and elastomers. They exhibit many of the physical properties of a rubber and combine this with the processing advantages of a thermoplastic. With the unique molecular structure delivered by catalysts, has opened a whole new range of products design and fabrication opportunities.
Our metallocene catalyst technology affords a highly efficient and consistent incorporation of octene comonomer into a polyethylene backbone. This results in low density and ensures precisely defined polymers with a range of unique performance attributes:
- Sealing: lower peak melting points and narrower melting ranges providing controlled sealing performance and superior sealing through contaminations.
- Flexibility: flexural modulus similar to elastomers and thermoplastic behavior without plasticizers or polar comonomers.
- Compatibility: exceptional compatibility with other polymers and elastomers to provide tailored attribute blending opportunities.
- Processability: free flowing pellets for continuous compounding. Processable on conventional extruders.
While these are the dominant features, many other benefits of these unique catalysed products are also exploited in product design:
- outstanding clarity
- very low extractables
- exceptional toughness
- high filler acceptance
- efficient peroxide and silane crosslinking
- surface softness
- anti-slip behaviour
The unique combination of attributes offered by Queo plastomers opens the possibility to improve your existing products range, reduce costs and expand into new end-uses and markets.
Queo plastomers add value in a wide range of film, extrusion and moulding applications. For many applications, the plastomer attributes have been demonstrated to exceed the requirements. As a result Queo plastomers are extensively used as blend partner, offering the opportunity to tailor the performance to cost balance of finished articles.
Just a few typical examples of applications are listed below.
- Flexible Packaging: maximizes sealing performance for clean as well as contaminated seal areas, even at reduced temperatures.
- Display film: adds to toughness and shrink performance.
- Blown stretch cling layers: contributes to cling and low unwinding noise.
- Protective film: enhances adhesion and affords removal without leaving stains.
- PP film: improves low temperature impact resistance.
Automotive sound deadening sheets: affords high filler loading at required mechanical properties.
- Flexible TPO’s: offers free flowing pellets for continuous compounding with PP for use in automotive parts, appliances and mechanical goods.
- Calendared sheets for building and construction: optimizes flexibility-toughness balance of sheets for use in halogen free roof coverings, tunnel lining, geomembranes, coated fabrics.
- Wire and cable: provides carrier for halogen free compounds for low voltage insulation and bedding. Adds flexibility in cross-linked compounds.
- Masterbatch carrier: affords low temperature blending and contributes to filler acceptance and dispersion.
- Synthetic corks: combines ease of foaming with superior odor and off-taste performance compared to other polymers used such as EVA, SEBS.
- Artificial grass: enhances yarn softness and resilience.
- Soft foams: produces flexible, resilient foams suitable for application in lightweight applications such as footwear.
- Non wovens: enhances bond strength and softnessexceptional toughness
Queo plastomers have shown commercial success in a many other applications requiring improved sealing and low modulus polymers. For more information on the value our products bring in different applications click here.
For an overview of the Queo grade slate and presentation of individual data sheets click here.