Borealis is one of the world’s leading providers of advanced and sustainable polyolefin solutions and a European front-runner in polyolefins recycling. In Europe, we are a market leader in base chemicals and fertilizers. We leverage our polymer expertise and decades of experience to offer value adding, innovative and circular material solutions for key industries such as consumer products, energy, healthcare, infrastructure and mobility.
In re-inventing essentials for sustainable living, we build on our commitment to safety, our people, innovation and technology, and performance excellence. We are accelerating the transformation to a circular economy of polyolefins and expanding our geographical footprint to better serve our customers around the globe.
With Head Offices in Vienna, Austria, Borealis employs 7,600 employees and operates in over 120 countries. In 2022, we generated a net profit of EUR 2,1 million.
OMV, the Austria-based international oil and gas company, owns 75% of our shares, while the remaining 25% is owned by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, or ADNOC, based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). We supply services and products to customers around the globe through Borealis and two important joint ventures: Borouge (with ADNOC, headquartered in the UAE); and Baystar™ (with TotalEnergies, based in the US).
In November 2018, S&P Global Ratings issued a BBB+ rating with a stable outlook for Borealis. This constitutes the first public rating for the company, which has been successfully active in a wide range of financing markets and instruments over the last ten years, and has built up a robust and well-diversified funding portfolio.
While Borealis’ long-term banking partners and investors have always appreciated the strong credit quality of the company, the public rating provides a very good additional evaluation basis for all external stakeholders. On 18 November 2021, S&P Global Ratings affirmed Borealis’ BBB+ rating with a stable outlook.
Under Borealis’ funding strategy, a strongly diversified financing portfolio has been implemented over several years with the aim of maintaining a balanced maturity profile. In addition, Borealis is pursuing a long-term relationship approach with a larger group of international financing institutions that support the company in funding and risk management transactions.
Based on this, combined with a resilient balance sheet and a strong public rating, Borealis has access to a wide variety of attractive funding instruments (such as bonds, the German Schuldschein, US Private Placement, foreign investment financing, bank loans and others). In order to meet its financing needs this year and beyond, Borealis will continue to explore several suitable financial instruments that fit its strategy.
Key Credit Highlights
Borealis is one of the world’s leading providers of advanced and circular polyolefin solutions and a European market leader in base chemicals, fertilizers and the mechanical recycling of plastics.
- Second-largest polyolefin producer in Europe and among the top ten worldwide.
- Significant cash flow contribution from the strategically-important Borouge joint venture.
- Supportive shareholder structure: OMV, the Austria-based international oil and gas company, owns 75% of Borealis, while the remaining 25% is owned by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, or ADNOC, based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Value creation through innovation: Borealis does not just make products, but focuses on the entire lifecycle of how these products are processed, deployed, used, and ultimately recovered into a second life and beyond.
- An experienced management team and conservative financial strategy.
- Well-diversified client base and product mix. Borealis works closely with its customers and industry partners to provide innovative and value-creating plastics solutions that make end products safer, lighter, more affordable and adaptable. Advanced Borealis polyolefins have a role to play in saving energy along the value chain and promoting more efficient use of natural resources.
- Strong financial headroom.