Always ‘evermindful’, in all parts of the business
Photo: PRS, a supplier of wooden pallets for over 23 years, has awarded Borealis for its sustainability efforts in contributing to the pallet pool system
In recognition of Borealis EverMinds™ vision of making the shift from a linear way of doing business to a circular way, we are truly proud to have been recognised and rewarded with the PRS Green Label.
PRS, a supplier of wooden pallets for over 23 years, has awarded Borealis for its sustainability efforts in contributing to the pallet pool system.
Our PO material is transported on wooden pallets to our customers. The pallet pool system involves re-collecting all wooden pallets at our European customers’ premises and transporting them back to our Borealis production facilities ready for them to be re-used for the next delivery of material. This system is recognised as one of the first real circular systems in the petrochemical industry. The pallet system demonstrates re-use aspect of the circular economy.
Some facts and figures to explain why the system makes circular sense:
- We use about 4000 pallets every day across Borealis in Europe, resulting in approximately 1.5 million pallets each year.
- Almost every day there is a truckload of pallets unloaded at our facilities.
- With the help of our customers and pooling company, PRS, we manage to recover 75% of our pallets for the purpose of re-use.
- All in all we are saving about 100.000 trees every year.
- This equals a forest in the size of one of our production sites, like Borealis Kallo or Burghausen.
How does this system promote ecological thinking?
- Circular and controlled re-use means less waste
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification, (PEFC) & FSC certified wood means re-forestation in the ecological responsible way.
- Efficient collection: for every 7 pallets collected for re-use, we save 1 tree.