Borealis and Borouge - creating new horizons at K 2010
Cutting-edge innovations, significant investments and a dedication to sustainability will be central to Borealis’ and Borouge’s presence at K 2010 in Düsseldorf from October 27 – November 3. Built around the theme of “Creating New Horizons – Capability, Commitment, Care”, Borealis and Borouge will showcase their strong capabilities, committed and caring approach, and optimism for the future.
Borealis and Borouge are among the world’s largest players in the plastics industry. Backed by their financially stable and committed owners, the International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) and OMV for Borealis and the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) as Borealis’ joint-venture partner for Borouge, they are working together in partnership to provide customers with global access to pioneering technologies, excellent service and innovative products across a wide range of markets and application areas.
Visitors to K 2010 can look forward to recent examples of Borealis and Borouge:
Capability to offer customers the right products and services when and where they are needed through an expanding worldwide presence and investment in production and logistics facilities.
- Completion of the Borouge 2 petrochemical complex at Ruwais, Abu Dhabi in mid-2010 will triple Borouge’s annual capacity to 2 million tonnes of polyolefins.
- Addition of Borouge 3, currently under construction, will expand this annual capacity to 4.5 million tonnes by the end of 2013.
- EUR 400 million expansion of its production facilities in Stenungsund, Sweden will be inaugurated in June 2010.
Commitment to innovation leadership.
- Following the completion of its EUR 50 million Innovation Headquarters in Linz, Austria in 2009, Borealis has earmarked an additional EUR 75 million for investment in innovation capabilities.
- Borouge started construction of its new Innovation Centre in Abu Dhabi in April 2010.
- Advances for the packaging, healthcare, automotive, and infrastructure sectors, based on a broad range of technologies, will be among the latest polyolefin innovations.
Care towards employees and in bringing sustainable innovations to the market. Borealis and Borouge’s commitment to preserving the environments in which they operate is reflected both in business practices and in their approach to innovation.
- Materials can be recycled, generate less waste and offer energy-saving, CO2-reducing benefits up to the final end product.
- The pioneering Water for the World™ programme contributes to conserving the Earth’s most valuable resource and addresses the global challenge of securing fresh water and proper sanitation for the world community.
- Borealis and Borouge have defined and implemented measures to improve their own environmental performance. Initiatives include a 14% reduction in CO2 emissions related to Borealis’ production since 2000; 1/3 reduction in Borealis’ production waste since 2000; a group-wide target of 20% improvement in energy efficiency by 2020.
“K2010 presents a valuable opportunity to get in close contact to our customers world-wide. It supports the continuous dialogue that is crucial to Borealis’ and Borouge’s strategy of value creation through innovation to create the new horizons that form the backbone to success for us all,” comments Lorenzo Delorenzi, Borealis Executive Vice President Polyolefins. “Our products and services have the quality and inherent capability to deliver value throughout the chain. By combining strong capabilities with our caring, committed approach to bringing the latest, sustainable innovations to the market, we can answer some of the world’s greatest challenges, offer customers new opportunities for differentiation and drive a more sustainable future for society.”
“Borouge is currently tripling its annual manufacturing capacity of polyethylene and polypropylene to two million tonnes, thereby laying the foundations to be a major supplier of innovative plastics solutions to the Middle East and Asian plastics industry”, says Gilles Rochas, Borouge Vice President for Film & Moulding. “With the high growth rates of these markets and an increasing number of converters from this region visiting the K Fair in Germany, we will be present to further develop partnerships with our customers. In addition to increasing our production capacity, we are investing in our sales and marketing organisation, innovation capability and supply chain infrastructure, paving the way to be an innovative, responsive and reliable supplier for the future.”
For the triennial event, Borealis and Borouge will be joined for the first time by NOVA Chemicals, a leading producer of plastics and chemicals that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Together, the three independent companies under the ownership of ADNOC, IPIC and OMV will share a stand in hall 6 at stand A43.
For further information, please contact:
Kerstin Meckler, Head of Communications,
Tel. +43 122 400 389