European Patent office confirms Borealis as top applicant in Austria
2022 wurde Borealis erneut als österreichischer Top-Innovator im European Patent Index 2022 ausgezeichnet
- Borealis ranked as top Austrian innovator in the European Patent Index 2022
- Borealis holds an extensive patent portfolio, comprising around 8,500 granted patents
- In 2022, Borealis filed 128 new priority patent applications
Innovation is fundamental to Borealis’ ability to achieve its purpose of Re-inventing Essentials for Sustainable Living. We are committed to developing technologies that will provide solutions to the most critical issues facing society, including climate change, pollution and increased energy costs.
Together with OMV Group, we are leading the industry in the transformation toward the circular economy with zero CO2 emissions. Together, we are determined to achieve this transformation. Our polyolefins business develops new high-performing materials, in hydrocarbons & energy we identify innovative approaches to using new renewable feedstock, and in Circular Economy Solutions we are developing technologies to use waste plastic as a resource.
“We are proud to again be top ranked as leading Austrian innovator in the European Patent Index 2022,” comments Thomas Gangl, Borealis CEO. “Not only is innovation a key driver for finding solutions to our most critical issues. Innovations developed in Europe are also crucial for Europe to remain an attractive and competitive market.”
Patents play a crucial role in safeguarding visionary ideas when developing novel approaches, technologies, and applications. An important requirement when pushing the boundaries of technology is to ensure a strong intellectual property right position which is key to strengthening Borealis’ position as a licensor. Many patents also protect products and applications.
Borealis has an extensive patent portfolio, comprising around 8,500 granted patents and around 3,000 pending patent applications. In 2022, Borealis filed 128 new priority patent applications.
For more information:
- To learn more about our innovation goals and achievements in 2022, read the related chapter in our recently published Annual Report 2022
- Take a moment to browse through the innovation pages of our website
- Look at the innovation playlist on our YouTube channel, or flip through related high-res imagery on our website
- Check out the European Patent Index 2022
This news is also available in German language.