Borealis expands pioneering pipe portfolio
Polypropylene random crystalline temperature (PP-RCT) grade specifications
Borealis, a leading provider of innovative solutions in the fields of polyolefins, base chemicals and fertilizers launches a new grade in its portfolio of polypropylene random crystalline temperature (PP-RCT) pipes. Now commercially available in Europe, the new grade RA7050-LG is an important expansion of the pioneering and superior Borealis PP-RCT portfolio. The improved performance and properties of this grade fulfil market demand for sophisticated applications in industrial heating and cooling, including building risers as well as heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems.
New grade builds on long track record of PP-RCT innovation
Distributing sufficient quantities of water in buildings in a safe and reliable way has become increasingly challenging due to population growth and urbanisation as well as aging pipe infrastructure. Conventional piping materials are becoming increasingly obsolete because they are too heavy and difficult to handle. In addition, their performance over time is inconsistent.
Over the past 30 years, the development of polypropylene random copolymers (PP-R) has led to a growing acceptance of plastic pipes for plumbing, heating and for industrial applications. In 2004, Borealis launched the first significant resin improvement in decades with the introduction of a next-generation material class called PP-RCT, with improved hydrostatic pressure resistance. Since this pioneering launch, Borealis has continued to build on its PP-RCT track record. The material class has a strong market presence and is standardised in accordance with ISO 15874, which governs PP piping systems for hot and cold water installations in buildings.
"The launch of RA7050-LG is a meaningful PP-RCT portfolio expansion that responds to existing and very specific market demands, but also anticipates future evolutions in pipe infrastructure," says Anton Wolfsberger, Head of Marketing Borealis Consumer Products. "We will continue to innovate in pipe so that we can deliver solutions to key global challenges such as a safe and reliable water supply, enabling life's essentials."
RA7050-LG augments existing advantages of PP-RCT
The overall improved performance and hydrostatic pressure resistance of PP-RCT pipes, especially at elevated temperatures, results in a range of advantages for the entire value chain. For instance, their longer durability makes operations safe and reliable in the long term. Moreover, the increased pressure resistance - given the same dimensionality or even higher hydraulic capacity of pipes and fittings - brings significant benefits for both pipe producers and building designers.
The new light-grey RA7050-LG grade is a fully PP-RCT classified material. It offers numerous additional benefits:
- Fully PP-RCT classified material certified with proven 50 years of service life at 70°C of CRS70°C, 50 years = 5 MPa according to ISO12162 when tested in accordance to ISO9080.
- Produced using special multi-reactor technology and containing high level of beta-nucleation crystals enabling excellent crack growth retardation properties.
- Fully compounded for highest quality control and easy handling.
- State-of-the-art stabilisation package for excellent thermal and chemical resistance.
The new RA7050-LG boasts key benefits when compared to conventional materials:
- Reduced installation times of up to 30%.
- Reduced total installation costs ranging from 30% to 70%.
- Extended lifetime.
- No condensation.
- Reduced energy loss for hot or chilled water applications.
Additional benefits in comparison to first-generation plastic materials in the PP-R class include:
- Increased pressure resistance with same dimensionality.
- Higher hydraulic capacity with same outer layer construction.
- Potential weight reduction ranging from 14% to 25% in pipe production.
- Better cost efficiency due to beneficial dimensionality.
- 'Drop in solution' since no major changes required when utilising existing extrusion and injection moulding equipment.
- Easier installation.
- Suitable for special applications such as high-rise air-conditioning systems.
K Fair 2016 takes place from 19 to 26 October in Düsseldorf, Germany. "Join Our Journey" and visit Borealis, Borouge and NOVA Chemicals at Hall 6, Stand 6A43 to learn more.
For further information please contact:
External Communications Manager
Tel. +43 1 22 400 772 (Vienna, Austria)