What is the Scientific Innovation Award?
As a global industry leader in innovative solutions and technologies, Borealis has already placed sustainability firmly at the core of our business, but we still have work to do.
For this year's award, we are looking for pioneering ideas to shape the future of our industry and our planet. We want to hear from bold, disruptive thinkers from the professional and academic scientific communities, from entrepreneurs to university researchers, so that, with your help, we can re-invent essentials for sustainable living.
Our vision is to lead a sustainable transformation by putting innovative plastic and base chemical solutions to work, bringing about a future that is fully circular. Making this a reality will require fresh thinking, so this year the Award will recognize three scientific papers that contribute new ideas in one of the following areas:
- The reduction of greenhouse gasses using renewables
- Sustainable manufacturing technologies and use of polyolefins
- Carbon neutral production of hydrocarbons
A panel of high-level Borealis research representatives will assess submissions and choose the three best ideas from among them. The winners will receive a financial reward, and an invitation to an exclusive hybrid awards ceremony, where finalists will have the opportunity to network and present ideas to Borealis’ senior leaders, as well as top scientists and professionals in the fields of chemicals and engineering.
Guidelines for Applicants
Who can apply?
The competition is open to researchers, entrepreneurs and professionals in the fields of chemical engineering and sustainability with research in one of the selected areas.
What are the criteria for applications?
Your application needs to take the form of a peer-reviewed publication or thesis that describes an innovative idea concerning either the reduction of greenhouse gasses by means of renewable materials, carbon neutral production of hydrocarbons, or the sustainable manufacturing and use of polyolefins.
What are the steps to apply?
- Complete a short application form, and supply either a copy of your peer-reviewed publication or thesis, or the abstract.
- Optionally, you may include any further relevant documentation, as well as a cover letter.
- The deadline for applications is September 5, 2023.
- Award winners will be notified by September 18, 2023 and the awards ceremony will take place in Linz.
What are the prizes?
Winners will be invited to join the Borealis scientific community in celebration of their success. They will receive:
- a recognition ceremony taking place during an in-person visit to the Borealis Innovation Headquarters in Linz, Austria on October 17, 2023, where finalists will have the chance to present their ideas and connect with representatives of Borealis' Innovation and Technology team.
- an in-person visit to the Borealis Innovation Headquarters in Linz, Austria, with the opportunity to become acquainted with industry leaders, subject matter experts and like-minded professionals. Travel and accommodation for the event will be hosted by Borealis, with one invitation available per submission.
- a financial reward for their accomplishment.
For ten years, Borealis encouraged and rewarded innovative ideas with our former Student Innovation Award, gathering over 270 applications from students across 56 countries. We are grateful to all of the talented individuals who have shared their ideas with us over the years, and we’re particularly proud of our previous award winners. Many have helped shape the work we do at Borealis, and some have even joined us, working in our teams of scientists to find solutions that help accelerate the transition to a circular economy. Others have gone on to have distinguished careers in academia or other areas of industry. Whatever our finalists’ path, we’re pleased to have been able to celebrate their success by integrating their ideas and discoveries into our research, and collectively drive sustainable progress for our industry.