Winners of the Borealis Scientific Innovation Award recognized during Borealis Innovation Day
Photo: Winners of the Borealis Scientific Innovation Award recognized during Borealis Innovation Day
On 17 October 2023, the Borealis Innovation and Technology team announced the winners of the Borealis Scientific Innovation Award (BSIA) and the InnoTech Recognitions at the Borealis Innovation Day in Linz, Austria.
The BSIA presents Borealis with the opportunity to discover new talent and support innovative ideas to tackle pressing environmental concerns. In line with Borealis’ orientation towards continuous discovery and innovation, these awards underscore the company's determination to contribute to a more sustainable future on a global scale.
Applicants submitted their applications on one of the following three areas of focus:
- The reduction of greenhouse gasses using renewables
- Sustainable manufacturing technologies and use of polyolefins
- Carbon neutral production of hydrocarbons
An expert panel comprised of members of Borealis’ research team then carefully analyzed the submissions and selected three winners, who were invited to the Borealis Innovation Headquarters in Linz in order to present their scientific works to a live audience and to network with Borealis senior management, including Lucrèce Foufopoulos-De Ridder, Borealis Executive Vice President Polyolefins, as well as the Borealis Innovation and Technology team:
- Magdalena Góra (University of Genoa): “Surface-enhanced nucleation in immiscible polypropylene and polyethylene blends: The effect of polyethylene chain regularity”
- Paul Johann Freudenthaler (JKU Linz): „Development of Application-Specific Polyolefin Recyclate Compounds for Packaging and Pipe Applications”
- Martina Seier (TU Vienna): “Prospects for Recyclable Multilayer Packaging: A Case Study”
After that the InnoTech Recognitions honored Borealis’ own researchers celebrated their impressive achievements and profound contributions to the company’s success. The recognitions celebration provided winning teams the opportunity to accept their noteworthy awards from the Innovation & Technology Leadership Team in front of a company-wide live-stream audience and their peers at the Innovation Headquarters in Linz.
The next callout for applications for the BSIA will start in September 2024, so if you know any potential candidates in your network, encourage them to visit our website for more information on the application process and to find inspiration from previous years.
To learn more about the BSIA and the winners, visit the BSIA page on our website.
This media release is also available in German language.